Both Data Warehouse and Data Mart are used to store the data.
The main difference between a Data warehouse and a Datamart is that Data Warehouse is the type of database which is data-oriented in nature. while Data Mart is the type of database which is project-oriented in nature. The other difference between these two the Data warehouse and the Datamart is that the Data warehouse is large in scope whereas Datamart is limited in scope.
Let’s see the difference between a Data warehouse and Datamart:
- A data warehouse is a Centralised system.
- In a data warehouse, light denormalization takes place.
- A data warehouse is a top-down model.
- Building a warehouse is difficult.
- In the data warehouse, the Fact constellation schema is used.
- Data Warehouse is flexible.
- Data Warehouse is data-oriented in nature.
- Data Warehouse has a long life.
- In Data Warehouse, Data are contained in a detailed form.
- Data Warehouse is vast in size.
- While it is a decentralized system.
- While in Datamart, highly denormalization takes place.
- While it is a bottom-up model.
- While building a mart is easy.
- While in this, Star schema and snowflake schema are used.
- While it is not flexible.
- While it is project-oriented in nature.
- While data-mart has short life than a warehouse.
- While in this, data are contained in summarized form.
- While data mart is smaller than a warehouse.